Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

QCNS Softball Report 5.5.11

Brethren,Well, Thursday was another nite of enjoying a Chipotle Steak Bowl and book reading for me.....

6:00 PM Game- 5:59 PM I hear the loud pinging of a diesel engine shutting down, 2 doors slam and one voice is heardas the empty ball field is surveyed, "This doesn't look promising!"

It wasn't and it didn't get any better.......

One of those 2 fellows fessed up that on Sunday their "fearless leader" announced the wrong nite (Friday) AND wrong game time! LOOK, I ain't your mommyYou gots to be able to read on your own!!

6:40 PM Game- Yoshi (It's always Yoshi isn't it!??) and a couple other Nauvoo Station Single Warders, including some nubile sisters, came dragging in. One eager fellow asked a sister if she was going to play. "I play the field, but not the out field!" was the response. I think she said something to one of the other sisters to the effect the fellow might be able to crack her Starting Line Up, but I couldn't be too sure I heard it right. Yoshi was gonna try pitching until someone else elbowed him off the pitcher's mound. Yoshi walked off saying something about how he was better at "pitching woo" than softball's anyway....... You gotta love Yoshi's optimism!!!

7:20 Game- This one was a No / No. For the sistern- in Baseball parlance that means a No Runs and No Hits game by a pitcher and is truly an outstanding accomplishment. In our case it just means both teams were No Shows!!

8:00 PM and 9:20 PM games - Hardly anyone showed and I don't remember anything noteworthy happening.

Image by Seth Werkheiser via Flickeravailable under a Creative Commons Attribution License

TOURNAMENT FORMAT:

With our phenomenal participation I'm left to ponder how to run a Stake Tournament or if we even need a Stake Tournament to crown a Stake Champion when no one will even remember who it was by next season and our Stake may have seen Wards Split and even some Stake boundary changes soon. That's just a rumor. You didn't hear it from me!

We have the ball field reserved 5 more nites. I've heard a number of suggestions (some more worthwhile than others) about things we can do. Young Men want to play. Sisters Want to Play. I have to listen to my 17 year old daughter whine almost every day about why can't she play Co-Ed, "because I'm almost 18"....

So, trying to make everyone sort of happy and break up the monotony of watching almost nothing happen for 4 hours every Thursday nite, here's what I am proposing:

3 nites of Co-Ed softball (That would be the 1st 3 Nites)
1 Nite of "Father and Son" any Melchizedek Priesthood and Young Men, Teacher's Quorum and Older, can play.
1 Nite of "Mother and Daughter" Any Relief Society and Young Women, Mia Maids and Older, can play.


This allows almost everyone in the Stake to get in at least one nite of softball before we shut down the lights and close out the Cooler Weather Spring Softball Season failed experiment.


Let me know what you think and I may make adjustments on the fly.


For now, the FIRST TWO Nites WILL DEFINITELY BE Co-Ed. I can always switch the 2nd Nite to the normal 2nd nite of a Winner and Non-Winners Double Elimination format if I get lots of support for a tournament.


I tried to matchup possible rivalries for the first nite. Not that I want to see any fight, or someone pouring root beer on an apposing Ward player or fan. I just want to see some good natured ribbing going on and folks that use to be friends in the same Ward but now hardly ever see each other in the new Ward alignments have a chance to say hello. Some folks can play ball. Some can bring food for a picnic under the Ramada & some can just let their kids run wild. I might be fun before it gets too hot!

Vic Pear
Men's Sports

PS- Nubile: Attractive and of marriageable condition or age. There is no corresponding single word for eligible young men, which may say something about the actual eligibility of the single adult males of our stake......



No comments:

Post a Comment

The 2 Nephites

It was a LONG and chilly night. Long because only 1 game had each Ward field a 5 player team all from their own Ward. Chilly on regards to ...